Cedar Grove Cemetery offers both in-ground and above-ground burial options.
In-ground burial is limited to University faculty and staff (see Eligibility and Purchasing). Grave spaces at Cedar Grove Cemetery are 39" wide and a minimum of 9' long. A maximum of two burials are permitted per grave, provided they meet one of the following criteria:
- Full body interment and one cremated remains
- Full body interment and one infant
- Two cremated remains
- One cremated remains and one infant
- Two infants
Burial options were expand in July, 2007 to include above-ground interment as full-body and cremated remains in the Our Lady of Sorrows at Cedar Grove Cemetery mausoleum complex. In addition to Notre Dame faculty, staff and retirees with the requisite years of service, Our Lady of Sorrows extends purchasing opportunities to Notre Dame alumni and members of Sacred Heart Parish.
Above-ground burial is offered in the following ways:
- Single Crypt: Full-body entombment of one person
- Side-by-Side Companion Crypt: Full-body entombment and memorialization of two people resting shoulder to shoulder with a double granite shutter
- Slide-Over Companion Crypt: Full-body entombment and memorialization of two people resting should to shoulder with a single granite shutter
- Tandem Companion Crypt: Full-body entombment and memorialization of two people resting head to foot with a single granite shutter
- Single Niche: Cremated remains inurnment of one person
- Companion Niche: Cremated remains inurnment of two people